[systemd-devel] Clarification on unit state meanings

James Forcier james.forcier at coreos.com
Thu Aug 10 03:10:26 UTC 2017

Hey all,

I noticed some odd ways `systemctl status` reports the status of units when
they're enabled via symlinks in target.{wants,requires} directories in /usr. In
particular, units with Install sections enabled this way show as disabled,
although they start with the target as expected.

I've done some work on a patch to fix this (also taking into account symlinks to
/dev/null in target.{wants,requires} directories) but I'm not entirely sure what
the exact correct behavior is. Apparently the table explaining unit states in
systemctl's manpage is out of date; is there a more complete listing anywhere of
what scenarios correspond to what states? If not, what's the expected behavior
here?

--
Thanks,
James Forcier