[systemd-devel] Storing Data on systemd bus

guhan balasubramanian guhan.sac at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 20:54:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've followed the tutorial on the 0pointer blog [1] for creating a 'system'
service.
I am currently held up with two questions which would help me come up with
a better design for my "inventory" program.

   1. Is it possible to use sd-bus API as an inventory to store and
   retrieve data? Whether sd-bus internally would store the data in the bus
   forever until deleted, something like a message queue?
   2. If above question has a positive answer, I am trying to get and set
   properties by creating a service (Example 1 in Reference - Busctl Man
   Page <https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/busctl.html>). I
   am doing this on the system bus, but I am not able to '*store the data
   in the bus'* as in the example. For now, I am only able to store data in
   the '*process memory' *as global variables.  [2] doesn't seem to help
   much as the bus is not storing the data using SD_BUS_WRITABLE_PROPERTY. Is
   there a reference code or documentation I can refer to?

Please advise and thanks in advance!

-Guhan