[systemd-devel] Storing Data on systemd bus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 6 20:58:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, 06.02.17 12:54, guhan balasubramanian (guhan.sac at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've followed the tutorial on the 0pointer blog [1] for creating a 'system'
> service.
> I am currently held up with two questions which would help me come up with
> a better design for my "inventory" program.
>
>    1. Is it possible to use sd-bus API as an inventory to store and
>    retrieve data? Whether sd-bus internally would store the data in the bus
>    forever until deleted, something like a message queue?

D-Bus is an IPC system, for delivering control messages between
processes.

It's not a storage system, and while messages are queued on it, you
cannot read them out of order, the messages have to be "small", and
you will be kicked off the bus if you stop processing your incoming
messages for too long.