[systemd-devel] [RFC] systemd-swap

Timofey Titovets nefelim4ag at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:02:56 UTC 2017

Hi, some time ago (about 3 years ago, first commit at Apr 9, 2014)
I created small project: systemd-swap.
https://github.com/Nefelim4ag/systemd-swap

Short description from README.md:
Script for manage swap on:
  zswap - Enable/Configure
  zram - Autoconfigurating
  files - (sparse files for saving space, support btrfs)
  block devices - auto find and do swapon
It is configurable in /etc/systemd/swap.conf.

(Project writen on pure bash)

The main reason why i create it:
I want have a one tool to manage all possible swap spaces, with small
as possible user interaction.

I can't collect full statistic about usage, as not so many people send
a bad feedbacks,
i only can say it's packaged for Archlinux:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/systemd-swap/
And that i have some "stars" and forks on github.

For what it can be used:
I know that many users use it for create Zram + swap on their notebooks
I know that someone use it to create some types of swap files.
I use it on my PC for automount swap partitions and on my production
VMs for manage swap spaces.

Now, for me, project looks like "enough mature to move on", and i
think about attempt to rewrite script on C, and merge it to main
systemd repository.

But before this, i like to get some feedback from systemd developers:
Did you think it's useful enough to be rewriten and merged in systemd repo?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for any feedback.
--
Have a nice day,
Timofey.