[systemd-devel] [RFC] systemd-swap

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 21 17:54:47 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20.02.17 20:02, Timofey Titovets (nefelim4ag at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi, some time ago (about 3 years ago, first commit at Apr 9, 2014)
> I created small project: systemd-swap.
> https://github.com/Nefelim4ag/systemd-swap
>
> Short description from README.md:
> Script for manage swap on:
>   zswap - Enable/Configure
>   zram - Autoconfigurating
>   files - (sparse files for saving space, support btrfs)
>   block devices - auto find and do swapon
> It is configurable in /etc/systemd/swap.conf.
>
> (Project writen on pure bash)
>
> The main reason why i create it:
> I want have a one tool to manage all possible swap spaces, with small
> as possible user interaction.
>
> I can't collect full statistic about usage, as not so many people send
> a bad feedbacks,
> i only can say it's packaged for Archlinux:
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/systemd-swap/
> And that i have some "stars" and forks on github.
>
> For what it can be used:
> I know that many users use it for create Zram + swap on their notebooks
> I know that someone use it to create some types of swap files.
> I use it on my PC for automount swap partitions and on my production
> VMs for manage swap spaces.
>
> Now, for me, project looks like "enough mature to move on", and i
> think about attempt to rewrite script on C, and merge it to main
> systemd repository.
>
> But before this, i like to get some feedback from systemd developers:
> Did you think it's useful enough to be rewriten and merged in
> systemd repo?

So, we are conservative with adding completely new components to the
main systemd repo these days, and prefer instead to add new stuff into
seperate projects under the "systemd" umbrella group on github. This
particularly applies to stuff that isn't necessarily at the core where
computing will go to, and quire frankly I have the suspicion that swap
partitions and suchlike are on their way out, and are not going to be
the default how future systems are set up.

Hence, yeah, we are happy to open up the github systemd umbrella
group, and add systemd-swap to it (well, if it follows our general
coding guidelines at least to some level, i.e. is written and C and so
on), but I am not sure this really belongs in the main systemd repo
itself.

I hope this makes sense?