[systemd-devel] how make systemd NOT to clutter dmesg?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 16:18:56 UTC 2017

On 27/02/17 12:04, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 27.02.17 11:03, lejeczek (peljasz at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:

>>> seriously - could you at least post *one* uncutted message
>> I said, it seemed the whole lot went there.. does it not make it simpler?
>> I did not want to clutter the mailing list, here:
>>

>> [67142.383939] systemd[1]: Got notification message for unit httpd.service
>> [67142.383956] systemd[1]: httpd.service: Got notification message from PID
>> 7722 (READY=1, STATUS=Total requests: 0; Current requests/sec: 0; Current
>> traffic:   0 B/sec)
> Seems something turned on debug logging for you. There are multiple
> ways how you might have turned it on. systemd.log_level=debug on the
> kernel cmdline (just "debug" works too). There's also a config option
> in system.conf. You can even turn it off and on dynamically with
> "systemd-analyze set-log-level"...
>
> How you turned it on I have no idea, but note that systemd will never
> turn debug logging on on its own, so it's clearly your admin (or some
> tool he used) on your system that is at fault.
>
> Lennart

yes, correct, something did, in /etc/grub2.cfg

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg

even tough nothing of above is to be found in /etc/default/grub
What I found and messaged Centos list about, long agao, but
it might be interesting to anybody who.. uses Oracle's
kernel-uek which a long time ago I'm pretty sure put:
MAKEDEBUG=yes
into /etc/sysconfig/kernel
but what I've had commented out for long long time, and many
new kernels installed since then.
I'll get rid of UEK for peace of mind's sake.