[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Lars Knudsen larsgk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:04:46 UTC 2017

I figured that made most sense :)

Still, it would be good if we could have a rule to not grab the CDC
interface part if the device includes WebUSB functionality. The likelihood
of a modem+WebUSB combo is so small that it must fall in the category where
potential rare exotic devices combining it must be whitelisted and the rest
be left alone.

Also (probably more a generic udev/systemd patch) always give user (or at
least browser - if that differentiation is possible) access to WebUSB
devices.

Btw: Afaik, Chromebooks are still using modemmanager, where not even
experts have easy access to creating udev rules

Br
Lars

Br
Lars

On Jan 10, 2017 17:34, "Dan Williams" <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 01:01 +0100, Lars Knudsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Lars Knudsen <larsgk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A small update:  When the modemmanager finishes probing (~16 secs
> > after
> > connection) data seems to stop flowing in from the WebUSB bulk
> > endpoint
> > also.  It is, however, possible to reconnect and get data again -
> > so I need
> > to see if there should be anything in the mbed firmware causing
> > that
> > behavior or there is some sort of silent reset of
> > interfaces/endpoints
> > happening on the linux side when probing is done.
> >

> Had to separate the CDC and WebUSB serial control signals completely
> in the
> firmware driver. - now survives

Yes, if you expose two USB interfaces that can be bound by two
different drivers, then you must expect they could be used
independently.  Not only by MM, but by anything.

Most devices that expose multiple ttys (eg, modems) treat the ttys as
completely separate at the link layer (serial signals) but commands
issued on separate ttys obviously affect internal firmware state
concurrently.

Dan