[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jan 10 17:19:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:04:46PM +0100, Lars Knudsen wrote:
> I figured that made most sense :)
>
> Still, it would be good if we could have a rule to not grab the CDC interface
> part if the device includes WebUSB functionality.

What exactly do you mean by "grab"?

> The likelihood of a modem+WebUSB combo is so small that it must fall
> in the category where potential rare exotic devices combining it must
> be whitelisted and the rest be left alone.

I think you misunderstand just how crazy firmware authors can be.  I'm
sure we will see those types of devices in the wild.

> Also (probably more a generic udev/systemd patch) always give user (or at least
> browser - if that differentiation is possible) access to WebUSB devices.

That's a bit harder as it requires userspace to parse the headers and
"know" to allow access to the device.  I suggest a udev helper program
for it.

good luck,

greg k-h