[systemd-devel] Github systemd issue 6237

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Jul 4 17:21:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 04:59:23PM +0000, Alexander Bisogiannis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
>
> Apologies for asking here, but since the discussion is locked in Github I
> thought to ask here.
>
> This was marked as "not a bug", but in later comments the wording suggests
> that systemd behaviour will change
No, there's nothing to suggest that in the comments.
It *might* change, but the comments do not say that.

> and if the username in a unit does not
> exist systemd will ignore the unit, instead of running it as root.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is this a bug with a BZ against rhel/centos7 (as my understanding is that
> this affects EL7 too)?
>
> If there is no BZ and based on the wording of the second to last comment
> by poettering, will this be fixed/changed in a future update?
>
> I personally see this as a security issue and thus as a bug.
If you need root permissions to create a unit, then it's not a
security issue. An annoyance at most.
(You do know that you're not supposed to copy&paste random stuff
from the internet as root, right?)

> Again, apologies for asking here, but I cannot comment in the github
> discussion due to the thread being locked to maintainers only.
Yes, it's locked because of uninformative comments.

Zbyszek