[systemd-devel] mkosi.postinst and user home permissions

Federico Bruni fede at inventati.org
Wed Jul 5 09:51:29 UTC 2017

Il giorno mar 4 lug 2017 alle 12:28, Federico Bruni
<fede at inventati.org> ha scritto:
> Hi all
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask questions about mkosi.
> If not, please advise where I should ask.
>
> I'm building fedora-26 in a directory.
> I want to add a normal user, so I've added to mkosi.postinst:
>
> useradd dev -p mypassword
> usermod dev -a -G wheel
>
> These two commands work fine, but the permissions are not correct:
>
> # ls -l /home/
> total 4
> drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul  3 18:13 dev
>
> Is this a bug? Or maybe what I'm trying to do should be accomplished
> in another way?
> As a workaround, I might try add a third line to mkosi.postinst:
>
> chown -R dev:dev /home/dev

Further to above, there are more problems:

- files in /etc/skel were not copied in /home/dev
- dev user password is not saved in /etc/passwd, so I cannot log in
with that user

These problems do not occur if I create an user within the container:

# useradd test -p testing!
# ls -a /home/test/
.  ..  .bash_logout  .bash_profile  .bashrc
# ls -l /home
drwx------ 2 test test 4096 Jul  5 11:45 test

So it's not a bug in shadow-utils.
It must be something about how mkosi.postinst work. Unfortunately I
don't have any mkosi examples to look at, in order to find any easy
mistake I might have done.