[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd not sending DHCP v6 requests

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 06:20:38 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm playing using systemd-networkd (rather than the legacy network
> service) on my Banana Pi CentOS 7 firewall.  (See the "Bouncing
> interface once chrony is synced" thread for background.)
>
> […]
>
> For some reason, though, only the IPv4 DHCP request is being sent.  I
> have verified with tcpdump that no "dhcp6 solicit" packets are ever
> sent.
>
> I also have a 32-bit ARM VM (qemu) running CentOS 7.  It does not
> exhibit this behavior; i.e. systemd-networkd does send dhcp6 solicit
> packets from this VM.  The most significant difference between the VM
> and the firewall is that the firewall has an extremely minimal set of
> packages installed.

Do both systems receive router advertisements? Standard DHCPv6 is only
triggered by RAs with the "managed" flags set. (I vaguely recall RFEs for
forced DHCPv6, as some ISPs don't bother with RA on the WAN side, but I'm
not sure if that was implemented. Even if it were, DHCPv6 doesn't carry
"default gateway" information...)

Is there some library or package that is required for DHCP v6 to work
> (something that might have slipped by an RPM packager)?

All networking code is in-tree, including the DHCP and RA processing.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>