[systemd-devel] no user dbus session in container

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Jul 18 13:02:30 UTC 2017

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 at 12:36:12 +0000, arnaud gaboury wrote:
> After upgrade from Fedora 25 to 26, there is no more user dbus session for user
> in container.
> On container, user can't connect to dbus session, and I have no idea why.
> May someone please give me some hints on how to debug this issue?

Please start by reading the system log (the Journal).

The chain of events that is meant to result in a D-Bus session bus is:

* A user logging in (somehow) starts a login session
* The login session starts an instance of `systemd --user`
* `systemd --user` starts the dbus.socket user service, listening on
  that user's $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/bus
* Some client in the login session interacts with the session bus
* As a side-effect of connecting to $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/bus,
  `systemd --user` starts the dbus.service user service
  (dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd:)
* The dbus-daemon accepts the client's connection

The system log should tell you which step in that chain of events is
no longer happening.