[systemd-devel] FW: Question about systemd sessions

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:53:48 UTC 2017

gdm registers its login screen as a session because it *is* in essence a
regular (if trimmed down) GNOME session. It follows the same logind rules
for accessing the display, audio out, etc.

Various desktop services and recently even programs use DBus activation –
instead of launching them directly, the consumer app tells DBus to start
them (either explicitly or just by trying to talk to the activatable
service). So usually you'd see quite a few processes as children of
dbus-daemon.

* If your distro has switched to the "user bus" model, then dbus-daemon
will be running as a systemd --user service, and therefore under user at .
* In addition to that, some apps have their own systemd --user services,
and DBus uses those to start the app.

On Tue, May 23, 2017, 12:12 Олег Гаврильченко <Gavrilchenko at avionica.spb.ru>
wrote:

> [...]

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>