[systemd-devel] About stable network interface names

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon May 29 05:10:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 02:35:12AM +0200, Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> I ask because I've done several tests, with different motherboards, adding
> and removing PCI-express cards and that expectation was not satisfied in
> many cases.
>
> For example, in one of those tests I initially had this setup:
> Integrated NIC: enp9s0
> PCIE1 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp3s0, enp4s0]
> PCIE2 (x16): empty
> PCIE3 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp7s0, enp8s0]
>
> Then i inserted a SATA controller in the PCIE2 slot and three NICs got
> renamed:
> Integrated NIC: enp10s0
> PCIE1 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp3s0, enp4s0]
> PCIE2 (x16): empty
> PCIE3 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp8s0, enp9s0]

Do you mean to show that PCIE2 is still empty here?

Anyway, PCI can, and will sometimes, renumber it's devices on booting
again, that's a known issue.  It is rare, but as you have found out,
will happen.  So anything depending on PCI numbers will change.  Nothing
we can really do about that.

thanks,

greg k-h