[systemd-devel] About stable network interface names

Cesare Leonardi celeonar at gmail.com
Mon May 29 09:34:13 UTC 2017

On 29/05/2017 07:10, Greg KH wrote:
>> For example, in one of those tests I initially had this setup:
>> Integrated NIC: enp9s0
>> PCIE1 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp3s0, enp4s0]
>> PCIE2 (x16): empty
>> PCIE3 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp7s0, enp8s0]
>>
>> Then i inserted a SATA controller in the PCIE2 slot and three NICs got
>> renamed:
>> Integrated NIC: enp10s0
>> PCIE1 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp3s0, enp4s0]
>> PCIE2 (x16): empty
>> PCIE3 (x1): dual port ethernet card [enp8s0, enp9s0]
>
> Do you mean to show that PCIE2 is still empty here?

No, sorry, cut and paste error. In the last case PCIE2 was occupied by
the SATA controller.

> Anyway, PCI can, and will sometimes, renumber it's devices on booting
> again, that's a known issue.  It is rare, but as you have found out,
> will happen.  So anything depending on PCI numbers will change.  Nothing
> we can really do about that.

Do you mean that it could rarely happen on boot also without doing any
change to the hardware?

So, to avoid surprises, in case of multiple NICs it's highly
recommendable anyway to hook interface naming to MAC address, isn't it?

Thank you for the clarifications, Greg.

Cesare.