[systemd-devel] systemd user instance and raising limits

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 00:36:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017, 02:27 Jeff Solomon <jsolomon8080 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Understood.
>
> I didn't think that systemd paid one bit of attention to the settings
> controlled by pam_limits?

The user@ instance runs user-controlled processes, much like cron would, so
its service unit has PAM enabled as well.

> I'm only interested in a user instance that is lingering and operates
> outside of a session.

They always run outside of a session, even if the start was triggered by
session creation.

> My goal is that the child processes of the user instance will have limits
> that I set. If I understand correctly, if those limits are to be higher
> than the system's hard limits, then the user instance itself must have
> those higher limits set on it, yes?

Yes, since it's a regular user process with the same user privileges as
those child processes.
--

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
Sent from my phone