[systemd-devel] systemd user instance and raising limits

Jeff Solomon jsolomon8080 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 00:57:07 UTC 2017

> I didn't think that systemd paid one bit of attention to the settings
>> controlled by pam_limits?
>>

> The user@ instance runs user-controlled processes, much like cron would,
> so its service unit has PAM enabled as well.

When I change pam_limits for a user via a file /etc/security/limits.d/, and
then restart the user instance, neither the user instance itself nor the
children of that instance are affected by those settings. OTOH, when I
login again as that user, that login session does have those custom limits
set.

Based on your previous comment, I would have expected the user instance and
its child to show those custom limits. What did am I getting wrong?