[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn/machinectl with LUKS/LVM

Mourad De Clerck bugs-systemd at aquazul.com
Wed Oct 4 10:41:01 UTC 2017

On 04/10/17 11:31, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> The image dissection logic can deal with either. The GPT approach is a
> bit nicer I think since the root partition can be marked as such, and
<snip>

All right, makes sense.

>> 2) machinectl list-images doesn't detect the images in LVs; am I
>> supposed to (auto)mount them in /var/lib/machines/ ?
>
> Yeah, that's how discovery works. You can alos place a symlink there.

So I tried to create a symlink to the LV block device
(/dev/vg/containername – containing a GPT) in /var/lib/machines/. I
tried naming the symlink "containername" or "containername.raw". But
"machinectl list-images -a" doesn't seem to detect this image either
way. This is with systemd 234 on Debian stretch, by the way.

> It should work, if you make them available in /var/lib/machines,
> either by mounting them there or by symlinking them there.

I'd like to avoid mounting the image if I can. To avoid having to
manually detect the gpt partitions, unlocking LUKS, etc, and to avoid
having to expose the container data to the host unnecessarily. But it
seems I'm doing something wrong with my symlinks.

-- M