[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn/machinectl with LUKS/LVM

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Oct 4 11:09:31 UTC 2017

On Mi, 04.10.17 12:41, Mourad De Clerck (bugs-systemd at aquazul.com) wrote:

> On 04/10/17 11:31, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > The image dissection logic can deal with either. The GPT approach is a
> > bit nicer I think since the root partition can be marked as such, and
> <snip>
>
> All right, makes sense.
>
> >> 2) machinectl list-images doesn't detect the images in LVs; am I
> >> supposed to (auto)mount them in /var/lib/machines/ ?
> >
> > Yeah, that's how discovery works. You can alos place a symlink there.
>
> So I tried to create a symlink to the LV block device
> (/dev/vg/containername – containing a GPT) in /var/lib/machines/. I
> tried naming the symlink "containername" or "containername.raw". But
> "machinectl list-images -a" doesn't seem to detect this image either
> way. This is with systemd 234 on Debian stretch, by the way.

Oh, hmm, the thing is a device node?

Ah, uh, I forgot that your image is a block device. We are missing
some support there for that. /var/lib/machines may only contain
dirs/subvols and raw files right now, we don't support block
devices. But adding support for that should be easy, too. Can you file
an RFE bug on github about this please?