[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 235

Susant Sahani susant at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 14:42:48 UTC 2017

On Oct 6, 2017 19:56, "Amish" <anon.amish at gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday 06 October 2017 07:36 PM, Susant Sahani wrote:

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Amish <anon.amish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you. I am curious to know if this new setting:
> ConfigureWithoutCarrier=1 would resolve my query few months back.
> (Although I would not be able to try it out yet for 2-3 weeks)
>
> Subject: Persistent address on "Lost carrier"
> Link: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2017-Ju
> ne/039041.html
>
> i.e. systemd-networkd should not remove IP address and routes on "Lost
> carrier".
>
> I looked at the code here:
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/network/networkd-link.c
>
> It appears that - it is still not so.
>
> i.e. If carrier is lost (eg. cable removed / network issues) then
> link_update() function would go ahead and call link_carrier_lost()
> and unconfigure the device.
>
> i.e. it will not obey ConfigureWithoutCarrier=1 which I believe it should.

No that is not intended use case for  ConfigureWithoutCarrier=. It will
only look during configuring the the link.
 While configuring a link even if that link has no carrier it will go on
set it as configured for example empty bridges.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6645. But in your case It is
already configured via gained carrier not via
ConfigureWithoutCarrier even if you set it to true.

My issue is on similar lines too. May be extension to it.

i.e. if ConfigureWithoutCarrier is set then it should not Un-configure when
carrier is lost.

How it will loose the carrier first place if it never intended to gain
carrier. That means it's a totall different use case. Don't drop config if
carrier is lost. For that you need to open a rfe request.

The problem I face is that I have some IPs via certain "secure" interface.
(set via [Route])

But if carrier is lost for a while for any reason then IP address as well
as routes get deleted.

When routes get deleted then packets to those IPs start going via "default"
route which becomes security risk.

I can workaround this via firewall.

But it would be great if ConfigureWithoutCarrier is checked for
carrier_lost case too and IP is not un-configured.

PreserveConfigIfCarrierLost would be more appropriate. Both a different use
case. I don't think we should mixup.

Thanks and regards,

Amish.