[systemd-devel] How to give users permissions to /dev/kfd

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 04:04:46 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017, 00:30 Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The amdkfd kernel driver exposes the /dev/kfd device file for doing gpgpu
> computing on AMD GPUs, I would like to setup the permissions on this device
> file, so that regular users can access it.  I think it makes sense to
> try to copy what is being done for the other GPU device files, like
> /dev/dri/cardX.
> I can see the udev rules for these /dev/dri/cardX, but on my system it
> looks like
> something is giving users access to these files using  access control lists
> (acls), but I'm not sure where the acls are being modified.  Is systemd
> only responsible
> for the udev rules or is there something else in systemd I need to modify
> get the acls set correctly?

udev applies these ACLs to all devices tagged with TAG+="uaccess" from udev
rules.

(The tagging is kind of an internal detail and your rules are supposed to
use ENV{ID_this_and_that}, but... for personal use it works well enough.)

Just make sure you get the rule ordering right, I think 71-something.rules
is a good place. I can't check right now, might be remembering wrong.

--

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
Sent from my phone