[systemd-devel] Recommended way to enable IPForward for a system using networkd?

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Thu Aug 2 17:17:14 UTC 2018

So, IPForward is a global setting and yet with networkd it needs to be
attached to an interface...

What's the best way to enable it on a system, that's general enough and
won't really depend on the existing interface configurations (let's assume
those will be managed separately through drop-ins somehow...)

I tried creating an /etc/systemd/network/99-forwarding.network with the
configuration and no match:

  [Network]
  IPForward=yes

But that doesn't work since all the network interfaces get a match earlier
on...

Using an earlier file would risk clobbering the actual configuration of
real interfaces...

Since the setting is global anyways... Would it make sense to recognize it
in networkd.conf?

Or am I missing an obvious way to set this up that would work regardless of
which *.network files are used to configure the interfaces?

Cheers!
Filipe