[systemd-devel] systemd service not connecting to session dbus

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:43:25 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM Deepan Muthusamy <deepan.muthusamy at tcs.com>
wrote:

> My application has to communicate to both system dbus and session dbus and
> I want to start my application through systemd. How to do that?

Everything can use the system bus, but only applications belonging to the
session can use the session bus. Trying to access user sessions from within
a system service is somewhat contradictory (is it a system service *or* is
it a desktop app?). It *is* technically possible but you need a really good
reason as well as to consider that there can be more than one session, less
than one session, that sessions can appear and disappear at any time... The
only common exception are tightly integrated embedded distros, where
exactly one permanent session exists.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas