[systemd-devel] Select on value of log message

Cecil Westerhof cldwesterhof at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:48:02 UTC 2018

Sadly sometimes GMail messes up reply. All my replies went to individuals
instead of the mailing list. %<{

I give the most important things I wrote.

> On Wed, 2018-08-29 at 19:49 +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> > There are a lot of ways you can select the output you get from
> > journalctl, but it seems you cannot select on the message itself.
> > That is why I need to do something like:
> >      journalctl | grep 'Database is locked'
> >
> > Is this true, or am I overlooking something?
>
> Since version 237, journalctl has had a --grep option.
>
> Message text is not indexed, so performance-wise this still requires
> going through all messages (as limited by other options).

On Debian the version is 232, but backports has 237. Sadly this gives:
    Compiled without pattern matching support

That is because:
    regex in journalctl is an optional feature that is decided at compile
time

Posted the problem in a Debian newsgroup. Fingers crossed that they are
going to enable it.

--
Cecil Westerhof