[systemd-devel] non-dev systemd-devel package for Linux

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Fri Aug 31 18:11:38 UTC 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 10:52:30 -0700, Sayeed hyder wrote:
> Thanks Silvio. Unfortunately, I cannot use devel. IIUC, rhel/centos does not
> provide a non-dev systemd package? That does not sound right.

Are you mixing up the concept of an unstable version that is still under
development, and the concept of a package containing development headers
to be used to compile your own software? They both have the word
"development" in, but the thing that is being developed is different.

The -devel packages in Red Hat-derived distributions and the -dev
packages in Debian-derived distributions are equivalent. They both
contain the header files, static libraries, etc. that are needed if you
are developing your own software against a library.

The -devel and -dev suffixes do not indicate that the software in those
packages is not recommended for use. They are of the same quality and
stability as any other package built from the same version of the same
source code.

(Packages that contain software that is not yet recommended for
use, but is packaged anyway, are a lot rarer, because people don't
normally package software in a stable distribution until the software
is also stable. Examples of "not ready yet" software in Debian include
wine-development and llvm-snapshot.)

    smcv