[systemd-devel] systemctl start second.service first.service

Jérémy Rosen jeremy.rosen at smile.fr
Fri Jan 12 13:15:42 UTC 2018

I had a quick look at the systemd dbus API (which I assume is close to
what systemctl uses) and there are no easy way to queue multiple
"starts" into one job

There is a single StartUnit (+varient) method which can only take a
single unit. no queuing mechanism, way to create ajob without triggering
it or other workaround

So yes, to get this to work as expected a new API probably needs to be
added.

Alternatively, systemctl could create an Transient, temporary unit with
the correct relationship (Wants, Conflicts, ReloadPropagatedFrom) and
start that unit, pulling in the ones on the command line. Not sure if
that's a good approch. Just stating that it's possible...

On 12/01/2018 14:11, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 at 21:41:54 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> come on - nobody cares about this bullshit bingo about what are jobs, units
>> and services
> Please try to be polite when you are in a situation where you could be
> perceived as representing a community. Responses like this to discussion
> of a technical issue do not help systemd's reputation, and using jargon
> terms precisely is a useful way to describe how code works.
>
> For what it's worth, I think I agree with the technical point you were
> making, which (if I understand correctly) is that it would be better for
> each "systemctl start" invocation to create a single transaction (job)
> that will start all the units named on the command-line in an order
> chosen by the systemd manager to respect their Before/After ordering.
>
> Thanks,
>      smcv

SMILE <http://www.smile.eu/>

20 rue des Jardins
92600 Asnières-sur-Seine

*Jérémy ROSEN*
Architecte technique
Responsable de l'expertise Smile-ECS

email jeremy.rosen at smile.fr <mailto:jeremy.rosen at smile.fr>
phone +33141402967
url http://www.smile.eu

Twitter <https://twitter.com/GroupeSmile> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/smileopensource> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile> Github
<https://github.com/Smile-SA>

Découvrez l’univers Smile, rendez-vous sur smile.eu
<http://smile.eu/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature>

eco Pour la planète, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire