[systemd-devel] I have lots of sockets tied to pid 1 (systemd) in CLOSE-WAIT, anyway to get rid of these?

Christopher Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Tue Jun 19 22:21:51 UTC 2018

Not sure what happened, but on one of our CentOS 7 host we had like 64
socket connects owned by pid 1 (systemd) in CLOSE-WAIT state.  And
systemctl -a shows a bunch of lines like:

check_mk at 11305-10.32.50.31:6556-10.32.3.10:55106.service  (corresponding
to the 64 CLOSE-WAIT connections)

I tried shutting down the socket and service and was able to get rid of
the CLOSE-WAIT sockets, however the entries in systemctl persist.  Is
there anyway to clear out those (they are now in  loaded failed failed
state).

Not sure how things got into the state initially with all the CLOSE-WAIT
sockets either.

Check_MK after all of this isn't working on the host, even though
running the checks manually on the host work, but the socket/service
doesn't work (just locks up).  (our other platforms are working fine)

I suspect something isn't quite right somewhere of course, just guessing
about systemd (if it's the root cause).