[systemd-devel] Does "runlevel" ever show 6 as the current runlevel?

林自均 johnlinp at gmail.com
Thu May 31 07:25:03 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I know runlevel is a out-of-date concept, but I am still a bit curious
about the current support of runlevel in systemd. If I understand
correctly, the runlevel is updated via "systemd-update-utmp". After I check
the source code, I think "systemd-update-utmp" has the following behavior:

- "systemd-update-utmp reboot": update with ut_type=BOOT_TIME and ut_pid=0.
- "systemd-update-utmp shutdown": update with ut_type=RUN_LVL and ut_pid=0.
- "systemd-update-utmp runlevel": update with ut_type=RUN_LVL and
ut_pid=(runlevel, prev-runlevel), where runlevel may be 1, 3, 5.

Since I didn't see the runlevel will be updated to 6 anywhere, may I ask if
the current behavior of "runlevel" command will show 6, indicating that the
system is rebooting?

Thank you.

John Lin