[systemd-devel] Use of SystemKeepFree=

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Thu Oct 11 12:00:59 UTC 2018

On Do, 11.10.18 12:34, Jan Synacek (jsynacek at redhat.com) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> looking at the current code, SystemKeepFree= is not accounted for when
> doing vacuuming, only SystemMaxUse= is used. There was an ancient
> RHEL-7 bug for systemd-219 with the exact same problem. Now I'm not
> sure if that's actually a problem or not, but the documentation
> suggests that SystemKeepFree= should be honored.
>
> Is it a bug?
>
> When is SystemKeepFree= actually used?
>
> Why have SystemKeepFree= at all if it's the "other way around" of
> SystemMaxUse= ?

The vacuum logic should respect SystemKeepFree= correctly afaics.

cache_space_refresh() calculates a single "limit" value from the
available disk space and disk usage, his is then used in do_vacuum()
and passed to journal_directory_vacuum(). Everything appears in order
to me?

This code hasn't been touched in quite some time, hence I'd assume
this always was the way it was?