[systemd-devel] Failed to mount early API filesystems, freezing execution

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 30 15:30:46 UTC 2018

On Di, 30.10.18 16:14, Esben Stien (b0ef at esben-stien.name) wrote:

> On 30.10.2018 15:17, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > This suggests that the root partition you are trying to boot doesn't
> > have properly set up /sys, /proc or /dev directories that we could
> > mount stuff too, or your intird set things up weirdly.
>
> Right, but why is it freezing, as opposed to giving me some kind of shell
> where I can
> verify what's going on and fix it? Also, there is no way to boot into a
> shell that can
> have its own /sys, /proc and /dev, allowing me to inspect the filesystem and
> chroot
> and such?

You can request a shell, use init=/bin/sh on the kernel cmdline.

We generally don't hand out unrestricted shells just like that, for
security reasons. By expecting you to add init=/bin/sh to the cmdline
there's an extra level of protection as boot loaders which care about
security usually restrict the ability to manipulate the kernel
cmdline, and thus not anyone who wants gets a free shell.

> They don't have proper channels. I've written to the web forum, but there's
> no reply.

Well, pick a different distro, then?