[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: /bin/systemctl vs /usr/bin/systemctl

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Aug 7 12:12:02 UTC 2019

Nachricht <20190807110029.0bdf9407 at acer-suse.lan>:
>> 16:37 in
>> Nachricht <3243dc34-4eec-e3a0-c6fd-491fdfcaf865 at thomas-guettler.de>:
>> > I just realized that the location of systemctl varies across linux
>> > distributions.
>> >
>> > Ubuntu: /bin/systemctl
>> > SuSE: /usr/bin/systemctl
>>
>> I guess it should be /sbin/systemctl ;-)
>
> $ systemctl status <whatever>
>
> is not a privileged command.

That's one criteria; the other is how early it is needed/used during boot.
(I see that many people don't want to care about that, tending to say
"Everything is needed for boot immediately ;-) I grew up where the shell in
/sbin was different from that in /usr/sbin... Only the shell in /usr/bin had
full locale support (probably also due to the fact that the locale stuff was
inside /usr...)