[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: /bin/systemctl vs /usr/bin/systemctl

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 7 12:20:09 UTC 2019

Am 07.08.19 um 14:12 schrieb Ulrich Windl:

>>> I guess it should be /sbin/systemctl ;-)
>>
>> $ systemctl status <whatever>
>>
>> is not a privileged command.
>
> That's one criteria

it's the only, not so long ago /sbin or /usr/sbin wasn't in PATH for
normal users

> the other is how early it is needed/used during boot.
> (I see that many people don't want to care about that, tending to say
> "Everything is needed for boot immediately ;-) I grew up where the shell in
> /sbin was different from that in /usr/sbin... Only the shell in /usr/bin had
> full locale support (probably also due to the fact that the locale stuff was
> inside /usr...)

it's *all* below /usr for years now

it's not needed during boot at all and things changed a lot in the past
years given that it exists in the initrd - systems don't boot and work
like they did when you grew up and so it makes no sense design file
system layouts like decades ago

BTW: what MUA uses "Antw:" so that even the "clean subject" extension
fails because it expects "Re:" or "AW:"