[systemd-devel] /etc/fstab obsolete?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 28 08:46:15 UTC 2019

Am 28.08.19 um 09:33 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
> systemd in SLES 12 is causing endless frustration here:

a good start for a discussion as always :-)

just the topic "/etc/fstab obsolete?" alone makes one puke given that
/etc/fstab is mentioned dozens of times in the manuals and yes you get
generated units for years now, but hey who needs to read any manual when
he can also write useless posts with "causing endless frustration here"
and "That is why I hate systemd"

CTRL+F "fstab" here:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.mount.html

> Yesterday I was migrating some filesystems to a new device (multipath, MD-RAID, LVM, filesystem, mountpoints, etc.), updating /etc/fstab and other files as needed.
> After migration was successful, I also cleaned up the now obsolete resources (multipath, MD-RAID, filesystem, mountpoints, etc.)
> Everything looked OK...

"looked ok"

> But some time later the application was stopped, as the new filesystems were unmounted by systemd (even though active processes were using it) WITHOUT giving a reason for "Stopped target Local File Systems" in syslog. Instead systemd tried to mount the filesystems that had been removed from /etc/fstab!

in other words your poor univesity either can not afford testing systems
or competent sysadmins using them and RTFM or why do you go ahead on
production servers with a procedere obviously no tested before?

any sane sysadmin (especially when he admits that he is new to the
system) has testing setups and in times of virtualizatioin there is no
longer any excuse

> It seems systemd does not like root to unmount a filesystem that is still present in /etc/fstab.

no, it just don't like when you edit config, doing steps manually and
don't issue "daemon-reload"

> So I tried to "start local filesystems" after realizing the problem this morning. Then disaster (named "systemd") strikes back:
> It tried to mount the old filesystems that do no longer exist (and are no longer present in /etc/fstab), resulting in a "dependency failed", and in turn it transitioned a fully running server from multi-user mode to emergency mode, shutting down all services, network, etc.

the from the old fstab generated units where partially still there

> That is why I hate systemd!

believe it: systemd hates you too

honestly, after all that threads in the past months i would recommend
your employer to replace you with someone with better reading
comprehence and some solid education you obviously don't have for the
SLES your are supposed to maintain

> I did a "daemon-reload" in the emergency shell, and then I was able to start the default target again.
if you only would have done it in the production system after mangle
/etc/fstab