[systemd-devel] /etc/fstab obsolete?

Frans de Boer frans at fransdb.nl
Wed Aug 28 09:24:06 UTC 2019

On 28-08-19 10:46, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 28.08.19 um 09:33 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
>> systemd in SLES 12 is causing endless frustration here:
> a good start for a discussion as always :-)
>
> just the topic "/etc/fstab obsolete?" alone makes one puke given that
> /etc/fstab is mentioned dozens of times in the manuals and yes you get
> generated units for years now, but hey who needs to read any manual when
> he can also write useless posts with "causing endless frustration here"
> and "That is why I hate systemd"
>
> CTRL+F "fstab" here:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.mount.html
>
>> Yesterday I was migrating some filesystems to a new device (multipath, MD-RAID, LVM, filesystem, mountpoints, etc.), updating /etc/fstab and other files as needed.
>> After migration was successful, I also cleaned up the now obsolete resources (multipath, MD-RAID, filesystem, mountpoints, etc.)
>> Everything looked OK...
> "looked ok"
>
>> But some time later the application was stopped, as the new filesystems were unmounted by systemd (even though active processes were using it) WITHOUT giving a reason for "Stopped target Local File Systems" in syslog. Instead systemd tried to mount the filesystems that had been removed from /etc/fstab!
> in other words your poor univesity either can not afford testing systems
> or competent sysadmins using them and RTFM or why do you go ahead on
> production servers with a procedere obviously no tested before?
>
> any sane sysadmin (especially when he admits that he is new to the
> system) has testing setups and in times of virtualizatioin there is no
> longer any excuse
>
>> It seems systemd does not like root to unmount a filesystem that is still present in /etc/fstab.
> no, it just don't like when you edit config, doing steps manually and
> don't issue "daemon-reload"
>
>> So I tried to "start local filesystems" after realizing the problem this morning. Then disaster (named "systemd") strikes back:
>> It tried to mount the old filesystems that do no longer exist (and are no longer present in /etc/fstab), resulting in a "dependency failed", and in turn it transitioned a fully running server from multi-user mode to emergency mode, shutting down all services, network, etc.
> the from the old fstab generated units where partially still there
>
>> That is why I hate systemd!
> believe it: systemd hates you too
>
> honestly, after all that threads in the past months i would recommend
> your employer to replace you with someone with better reading
> comprehence and some solid education you obviously don't have for the
> SLES your are supposed to maintain
>
>> I did a "daemon-reload" in the emergency shell, and then I was able to start the default target again.
> if you only would have done it in the production system after mangle
> /etc/fstab

Unnecessary use of shaming and hurting words. Although the intention was
good, systemd is - in my view - overly complex. And yes, when starting
with it, one should read the manuals at least once, as a matter of
preparation. But I also understand that one can get lost in the jungle
called systemd.

So, don't pass judgment if you have only a portion of the information.
Rather, start asking questions to get the full picture. I hate the self
righteous posture of some people, just because they */think/* they know
it all/better.

--- Frans.