[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: /etc/fstab obsolete?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 29 13:57:37 UTC 2019

On Do, 29.08.19 07:46, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I agree to almost everything, except:
>
> The handling of /etc/fstab is a true mess. Maybe other config files
> are handles similarly, but I haven't discovered.  For some reason
> SLES does not set up a German keyboard in the mergency shell (just
> to make things worse). I had opened a service request for that as
> well.  Systemd "over-reacts" in most cases, like when being unable
> to find some mount that root unmounted. Bringing the system to
> emergency mode is clearly over-reacting.

We do this for safety reasons. Please declare all your mounts as
"nofail" and then systemd will boot up even without them being
around. But of course things will fall apart badly then as soon as a
device goes missing as all services will assume the file systems they
need are there but potentially are just reading or writing to the file
system undearneath.

"nofail" is an option that existed before systemd too, btw. It's how
you declare that you want an /etc/fstab line not to cause failure.

> I have always been a fan of UNIX because of ist conceptual
> simplicity, meaning it was easy to understand what's going on and
> how things work (very much opposed to MS Windows, for example).  For
> me systemd simply isn't UNIX.

I can live with that.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin