[systemd-devel] Bugfix release(s)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 16 18:18:15 UTC 2019

On Mi, 16.01.19 01:06, Christian Hesse (list at eworm.de) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> on Tue, 2019/01/15 20:00:
> > Note that we don't branch releases right now. Instead when we are
> > getting closer to a release we simply don't merge PRs we don't
> > consider appropriate for the release anymore until after the
> > release. Or in other words: the master branch simply "stops" for a
> > while getting new stuff, and only gets bugfixes until we release the
> > version, which reopens the floodgates
>
> Most people do not notice when this happens. Having milestones on github is
> nice, but most of us miss that. Just make it obvious: add a tag when
> you start preparation for a release - no matter if you call it 'v241-freeze',
> 'v241-rc' or whatever. I guess 'communication' on the lowest level can help a
> lot here.

(Hmm, are you sure a git tag is more "visible" than a github
milestone?  I am not so sure)

Either way, Zbigniew and I agreed to tag preliminary versions now,
let's see how this goes.

Hmm, anyone wants to set up a bot that automatically sends a mail to
this mailing list whenever a new tag is added to the git repo?