[systemd-devel] Bugfix release(s)

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu Jan 17 16:21:07 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 07:18:15PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mi, 16.01.19 01:06, Christian Hesse (list at eworm.de) wrote:
>
> > Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> on Tue, 2019/01/15 20:00:
> > > Note that we don't branch releases right now. Instead when we are
> > > getting closer to a release we simply don't merge PRs we don't
> > > consider appropriate for the release anymore until after the
> > > release. Or in other words: the master branch simply "stops" for a
> > > while getting new stuff, and only gets bugfixes until we release the
> > > version, which reopens the floodgates
> >
> > Most people do not notice when this happens. Having milestones on github is
> > nice, but most of us miss that. Just make it obvious: add a tag when
> > you start preparation for a release - no matter if you call it 'v241-freeze',
> > 'v241-rc' or whatever. I guess 'communication' on the lowest level can help a
> > lot here.
>
> (Hmm, are you sure a git tag is more "visible" than a github
> milestone?  I am not so sure)

 It is. `git pull` lists new tags:

Resolving deltas: 100% (8291/8291), completed with 1265 local objects.
>From https://github.com/systemd/systemd
   8724defeae..80aff27aeb master     -> origin/master
* [new tag]               v240       -> v240
Updating 8724defeae..80aff27aeb

  It does not list any GitHub milestones.

  Having said that, I'm against proliferation of tags.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl                                          72->|   80->|