[systemd-devel] Fail to load network modules properly

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 29 15:50:30 UTC 2019

Łukasz Słaboń wrote on 28/01/2019 19:23:
> Yes, as far as I know it should load firmware. Is there a possibility to
> force loading wl driver and module only after partition is mounted? I
> assume that something systemd scripts needs to be changed to force
> different boot sequence.

Firmware is usually stored in the /usr tree. systemd typically requires
that /usr is available from early boot (i.e. before modules are
initialised).

If /usr is a separate partition, it is the job of the initrd to ensure
/usr is mounted prior to pivoting into systemd on the filesystem.

If the module is compiled into the kernel or included in the initrd,
then the firmware file would also typically have to be included in the
initrd too.

dracut takes care of all this for you, not sure about other initrd
generators.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie