[systemd-devel] Antw: Startup single step

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 3 09:01:30 UTC 2019

On Mi, 03.07.19 08:42, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Nachricht <ad2e9439-dbb4-4d82-c959-f1daadc8bf86 at us.fujitsu.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am curious if there is a way to single step through the systemd startup
> > of services? I don't find any such feature and am curious what others would
> > think of it. We had a similar feature in a previous life, different OS, and
> > developers seemed
> > to like it. I personally think it was a handy tool to have in the arsenal,
> > probably not
> > a "use it all the time" kind of thing.
>
> My guess is that you actually do not want to single-step systemd,
> but instead you want to see what goes wrong and maybe ignore some of
> such failures and continue as if there was no error. Most useful
> during boots. See my previous message about user frustration and
> systemd's bad reputation...

Ulrich, please vent your frustration elsewhere. This is not OK.

You maybe have noticed people have been very helpful to you on this
mailing list, and answered many of your questions in a lot of detail
for free. Yet, you still jump in all the time and complain all the
time. If you want people to help you, best thing is to be nice. If you
are not people will just start to ignore you and eventually block
you.

Messages like the one above are entirely unnecessary. Just don't do
this. You are not helping anyone, just annoying the very people you
yourself expect help from.

One more time and I'll put you on moderation on this mailing list.

Thank you for understanding,

Lennart Poettering, Berlin