[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: Startup single step

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 3 09:59:56 UTC 2019

>>> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> schrieb am 03.07.2019 um 11:01
in
wrote:

>> Nachricht <ad2e9439‑dbb4‑4d82‑c959‑f1daadc8bf86 at us.fujitsu.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am curious if there is a way to single step through the systemd
startup
>> > of services? I don't find any such feature and am curious what others
would
>> > think of it. We had a similar feature in a previous life, different OS,
and
>> > developers seemed
>> > to like it. I personally think it was a handy tool to have in the
arsenal,
>> > probably not
>> > a "use it all the time" kind of thing.
>>
>> My guess is that you actually do not want to single‑step systemd,
>> but instead you want to see what goes wrong and maybe ignore some of
>> such failures and continue as if there was no error. Most useful
>> during boots. See my previous message about user frustration and
>> systemd's bad reputation...
>
> Ulrich, please vent your frustration elsewhere. This is not OK.
>
> You maybe have noticed people have been very helpful to you on this
> mailing list, and answered many of your questions in a lot of detail
> for free. Yet, you still jump in all the time and complain all the
> time. If you want people to help you, best thing is to be nice. If you
> are not people will just start to ignore you and eventually block
> you.
>
> Messages like the one above are entirely unnecessary. Just don't do

Actually you mix up messages with a single sentence. The last sentence may be
personal opinion, but not the lines before.

> this. You are not helping anyone, just annoying the very people you
> yourself expect help from.
>
> One more time and I'll put you on moderation on this mailing list.

Well an actual fact: I upgraded a system yesterday, and I spend about eight
reboots and about 5 hours just to find out WHY systemd booted into an emergency
shell. Compared to the old init I would have found and fixed that in one boot I
guess.

I didn't send my frustration on this to the list, but as you mention it...

> Thank you for understanding,

OK, I'll write a positive message about systemd: "Great, it made me spend
several hours to find and fix boot problems, where without systemd I would had
just idle time. A great improvement!"