[systemd-devel] OFFLIST Re: systemd's connections to /run/systemd/private ?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:05:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:28 PM Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:21:13AM +0100,
> systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
> > Hi Brian
> >
> > I feel embarrassed at having recommended you to join the systemd-devel
> > list :( I don't understand why nobody is responding to you, and I'm not
> > qualified to help!
>
> I appreciate the private feedback.  I recognize this is an all-volunteer
> ecosystem, but I'm not used to radio silence. :/
>
> > There is a bit of anti-SUSE feeling for some reason
> > that I don't really understand, but Lennart in particular normally
> > seems to be very helpful, as does Zbigniew.

It seems that Lennart tends to process his mailing-list inbox only every
couple of weeks. He's a bit more active on GitHub however.

The rest of us are probably either waiting for a dev to make a comment,
and/or wondering why such massive numbers of `systemctl` are being run on
your system in the first place.

> I'm new to this list, so haven't seen any anti-SLES sentiments as
> of yet.  But, based on the original symptoms I reported, this occurs
> on many distributions.
>
> > Perhaps it would be worth restating your problem. I would suggest
> > sticking to the facts of the problem as you have experienced them and
> > post the full logs somewhere so that people can see the problem. What is
> > logged when a server fails to reboot, for example.
>
> I'd love to restate the problem in a way that's tractable, and
> distinct from other people's reports of these symptoms.  If you
> search the Internet for forum messages:
>
>   systemd "Too many concurrent connections, refusing"
>
> You'll see a lot of hits.  The only solutions I've seen to date is
> the systemd maintainers bumping up a hard-coded constant, a few
> times over the last few years.
>
> (The fact that they've adjusted it at least twice, but never went
> so far as to make it a tunable in a config file somewhere is
> worrisome.)

I think there was a general expectation that almost nothing would *use* the
private socket, except for `systemctl` in rare situations where the general
D-Bus system bus is not [yet] available. Instead, all control (especially
where efficiency was important) would flow through the main bus connection
and wouldn't ever come close to hitting the private-connection cap.

(That said, `systemctl` was seemingly changed post-v226 (4fbd7192c5) to
always try the private socket first.)

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019, 22:29 Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 06:20:02PM +0100,
> systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
> >
> > Posting private messages to a public list is generally considered very
> > RUDE.
>
> I agree, and I apologize.
>
> The message I received, and replied to, did not come from a private
> email address; it apparently came from the mailing list software,
> and I did not realize that until I hit 'reply':
>
>   Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 11:21:13 +0100
>   From: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
>   To: Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com>
>   Subject: OFFLIST Re: [systemd-devel] systemd's connections to
>    /run/systemd/private ?

That's quite an odd glitch. Why would a private, offlist message come from
the mailing list software (or be made to appear as if it came from the
mailing list software)?

--
Mantas Mikulėnas