[systemd-devel] Antw: failing unmounts during reboot

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 25 13:00:06 UTC 2019

Am 25.07.19 um 13:07 schrieb Frank Steiner:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> "try to kill all processes using a filesystem before unmounting it"
>> isn't that easy when it comes to namespaces, "lsof" even don't tell you
>> the root cause preventing unmount but the ernel still refuses to do so
>
> Agreed! I've seen that already when trying to unmount manually. But it
> does help in many cases, so lsof+kill could be helpful, even if it's not
> a perfect solution. Or at least having the possibility to do sth. like
> that on my own via a drop-in.

and how do you marry that to the service and cgroups concept and
ordering? you can't because lsof+kill is a blind butcher like OOM killer
and when your stuff is running in proper ordered units such issues won't
happen because other than sysvinit systemd don't let run random leftover
processes when services and cgroups are terminated