[systemd-devel] EXT :Re: Disk Label Handling

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 26 14:25:57 UTC 2019

On Fr, 26.07.19 14:07, Boyce, Kevin P [US] (AS) (Kevin.Boyce at ngc.com) wrote:

> The link_priority option to me does not seem to have a method where
> all devices with duplicated filesystem labels have a unique symlink.
> More importantly, this approach would only work if custom device
> specific rules are added, not for the generic rule
> "ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem|other|crypto",
> ENV{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}=="?*",
> SYMLINK+="disk/by-label/$env{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC}"" as in the
> 60-persistent-storage.rules file.

There's no logic for generating alternative names in case of
conflict. But I mean, what are the by-label names good for if you
don't know what they point to?

The fix for non-unique labels is not making them magically unique in
non-deterministic ways but by changing them in the first place on disk
or not using htem at all (and uisng uuids or such)

Lennart Poettering, Berlin