[systemd-devel] systemd.journald.forward_to doesn't forward all journal messages

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 29 04:11:56 UTC 2019

Using either of the following:

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.journald.forward_to_kmsg log_buf_len=8M

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=8M

There's quite a lot of messages in the journal, but not in kmsg. As
in, so many missing messages that the feature is nearly useless for
debugging. Is it expected or should I file a bug?

In fact when I use systemd.log_level=kmsg there are messages missing
out of both the journal and kmsg; when I do not use that parameter,
the expected messages are in the journal. So it's like something is
trying to forward a subset of messages to kmsg but then they get
dropped? I don't know how to debug this...

--
Chris Murphy