[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: failing unmounts during reboot

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 29 12:15:00 UTC 2019

On Mo, 29.07.19 14:08, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> >> And just repeating the unmount without further actions is not a
> >> hack?
> >
> > Hmm? we tend to give up when we can't unmount something, log about it
> > and go on. We also have a second shutdown phase, which is a dumb and
> > brutal kill/umount loop that kills remaining processes and removes
> > mounts in a tight loop until nothing changes anymore. This second
> > phase is a safety net only though: it takes care of stuff that somehow
> > survive the first phase, i.e. the clean phase.
> >
> >> Why not stop when unmount fails?
> >
> > We do that.
>
> But it seems to be a better idea for the second phase to kill processes
> blocking unmount.

Hmm? The second phase kills *all* processes still remaining, in a
tight loop, under the assumption this will unblock mounts. When it
notices that doing so doesn#t help it eventually gives up too...

But again, the second phase is just a safety net, it should only get
involved if there are issues with the first phase. If the first phase
works correctly the second phase does exactly nothing anymore.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin