[systemd-devel] chkconfig <name> on preferred to --add?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 16:29:01 UTC 2019

As a note, if I have a sysV  /etc/init.d/name service that is "turned
on" by "chkconfig --add name" it seems that it adds it to *different
targets* than what "systemctl enable name" does (which appears to run
"chkconfig name on" enabling it for all runlevels).  This seems a bit
confusing?  is it expected?  Or perhaps my systemd version is just
old?

$ chkconfig --add service-name
$ chkconfig --list service-name
service-name 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off
$ systemctl disable service-name
service-name is not a native service, redirecting to /sbin/chkconfig.
Executing /sbin/chkconfig service-name off
$ systemctl enable service-name
service-name is not a native service, redirecting to /sbin/chkconfig.
Executing /sbin/chkconfig service-name on
$ chkconfig --list service-name
service-name 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off -----> 2 is different

$ systemctl --version
systemd 219