[systemd-devel] user slice changes for uid ranges

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 15:50:06 UTC 2019

On Fr, 27.09.19 15:56, Stijn De Weirdt (stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be) wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i'm looking for an "easy" way to set resource limits on a group of users.
>
> we are lucky enough that this group of users is within a (although
> large) high enough range, so a range of uids is ok for us.
>
> generating a user-<uid>.slice file for every user (or symlink them or
> whatever) looks a bit cumbersome, and probably not really performance
> friendly if the range is in eg 100k (possible) uids.
>
> e.g. if this range was 100k-200k, i was more looking for a way to do
> e.g. user-1XXXXX.slice or user-100000:200000.slice
>
> (i think this is different from/not covered by the templated/prefix user
> slice patch
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/5396624506e155c4bc10c0ee65b939600860ab67)

I am not sure this helps you very much right now. But ultimately the
plan is to allow resource limits to be configured in detail as part of
each user record. This is implemented here already:

https://github.com/poettering/systemd/commits/homed

But this hasn't been merged upstream yet, but will hopefully be merged
soon.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin