[systemd-devel] Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 16:19:02 UTC 2019

On Mo, 30.09.19 16:07, Hans de Goede (hdegoede at redhat.com) wrote:

> > So what you are arguing for is replacing the overlay initramfs
> > with a key-value config file which gets used by both the bootloader
> > and the OS.
> >
> > That is an interesting concept, esp. since it limits (as you advocate)
> > what can be done in the overlay from "everything" to "set specific
> > config variables to a value".
> >
> > So yes I can get behind this.
>
> While discussing this with Alberto an interesting problem came up.
>
> If we put this file in /boot/loader as you suggest, then the boot-loader
> can get to it and use it to set its keymap (and in the future probably also
> other stuff) but how does the localed in the initrd get to this
> file?

Boot loader could append it to the kernel cmdline for example.

> I agree with you that having a generic mechanism to share config
> between the OS and early-boot (so bootloader + initrd) is useful,
> but are we then going to make the initrd mount /boot (or the ESP) ?

I wouldn't no. Given that this is configuration that the boot loader
is supposed to grok and parse it could just pass it on on the kernel cmdline.

This would also allow boot loaders to provide a menu-drive scheme for
changing kbd layouts, which they then can sanely pass on to the initrd
and OS.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin