[systemd-devel] Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 16:01:27 UTC 2019

On Mo, 30.09.19 13:23, Hans de Goede (hdegoede at redhat.com) wrote:

> > i.e. generating initrd images with cpio and so on is hacky, gluey,
> > Linux-specific. If you just use plain simple, standardized config
> > files at clearly defined locations, then reading and writing them is
> > simple, they can be shared between all players, are not Linux specific
> > and so on. I think systemd could certainly commit to updating those
> > files then.
>
> This sounds interesting, although I'm not sure I like the one file
> per setting approach why not have a $BOOT/loader/config file which
> has key=value pairs and kbdmap would be a key in that file?

Currently there's $BOOT/loader/loader.conf which is read by sd-boot
and private property of it, if you so will. We could probably open
that up a bit, and make it part of the boot loader spec too. The
format after all is pretty mich the same semantically as the boot
loader spec.

> I'm afraid that will not work, some countries have multiple variants,
> we actually have a bunch of Fedora bugs open about the disk unlock
> support in plymouth and the "de-neo" keymap and there also are the
> somewhat popular dvorak variants.

Well, I am not sure we need to support more than /etc/vconsole.conf
supports. Not in the initrd...

> So we could do this as say a base setting but then we would need to add
> a kbdmap_variant setting which when sets makes the keymap loaded
> $kbdmap-$variant.map (in Linux Console terms) I guess we could specify
> that setting a variant this way is allowed, but that variant settings
> are OS / bootloader specific and may be ignored?

I am not sure we really need to configure a 100% fully featured keymap
there. as long as the basics work in initrd/boot loader we are
fine... mmkeys and per-machine tweaks can happily happen in later
boot. I'd go as far as /etc/vconsole.conf, but not further really.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin