[systemd-devel] Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 16:24:11 UTC 2019

On Mo, 07.10.19 10:32, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Colin Walters wrote on 01/10/2019 20:33:
> > On Sun, Sep 29, 2019, at 6:08 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> >> i.e maybe write down a spec, that declares how to store settings
> >> shared between host OS, boot loader and early-boot kernel environment
> >> on systems that have no EFI NVRAM, and then we can make use of
> >> that. i.e. come up with semantics inspired by the boot loader spec for
> >> finding the boot partition to use, then define a couple of files in
> >> there for these params.
> >
> > I like the idea in general but it would mean there's no mechanism to "roll back" to a previous configuration by default, which is a quite important part of OSTree (and other similar systems).   (Relatedly this is also why ostree extends the BLS spec with an atomically-swappable /boot/loader symlink, though I want to get away from that eventually)
>
> Just out of curiosity, when /boot is the EFI (as is recommended in the
> BLS) how do you deal with symlinks when the FS is FAT based?

Fedora doesn't do that. Fedora doesn't implement the boot loader
spec. They implemented their own thing that is an interpreted macro
language (!?), they just call it "BLS". It's why I myself never use
the acronym "BLS", to avoid unnecessary confusion. Really, the Fedora
thing is just a bad idea. The Fedora thing totally missed the idea
that boot loader drop-ins are supposed to be dead-simple, trivially
parsable and generatable static drop-in files, and just replicated the
bad bad idea inherent to GRUB which is that everything needs to be an
(ideally Turing-complete) programming language again.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin